Instructor-led training (ILT) has long been a cornerstone of effective learning experiences, but in today’s digital age, the integration of technology can take ILT to new heights. One such technology is generative artificial intelligence (AI), which has the potential to transform ILT by creating engaging and interactive learning experiences. In this article, we’ll explore the top ways to enhance instructor-led training using generative AI. From content creation to learner engagement and assessment, we will uncover practical strategies and actionable steps that ILT providers and trainers can implement now to elevate their training programs.
- Using Generative Artificial Intelligence in Instructor-Led Training
- Bottom Line: Generative AI is Key to Helping L&D Specialists Improve ILT
- What is Instructor-Led Training
Using Generative Artificial Intelligence in Instructor-Led Training
Generative AI is a type of software that can produce everything from walls of text to compiled images. Powered by natural language processing (NLP) and a machine learning model that is capable of creating just about anything for your training program.
AI is a key tool that most training and development specialists in charge of ILT operations should look into incorporating for their training company or L&D department. Gen AI in this context acts as a digital training partner that can help continually innovate and evolve training materials for instructors and subject matter experts (SMEs). When properly utilized, it allows an expert back-office training team to create better learning experiences without putting more effort than what’s needed, providing massive benefits in measuring the success of learning retention and success.
How can AI Improve Instructor-Led Training?
Generative AI is advantageous for ILT operations in that it can assist L&D teams in generating learning material and other educational assets for training programs. In addition to this, it can significantly improve how training and development specialists plan and execute training courses and enhance the quality of training for ILT. Below are some of the advantages AI has in improving ILT-based learning programs.
Dynamic and Interactive Content Creation
Generative AI can enhance instructor-led training experience by creating content that captivates and engages learners in the instructional material. How can it be utilized?
- Automated Content Generation: Creating learning content is consistently seen as a challenge for training specialists focused on ILT due to the volume and specificity of what’s needed for the learner. In addition to the subject matter, training teams must also focus on what medium should it be delivered. Through text and video? Or perhaps in a lesson plan to be used by the subject-matter expert? With generative AI, the creative roadblocks and production timelines to get training content to be consumed are reduced dramatically so that the back-office and SMEs can focus on the execution of instruction.
- Interactive Training Content: Interactive video for training has always had its benefits in learning but with Gen AI, its utility increases. Interactive training scenarios using Gen AI can simulate real-life situations and encourage learners to apply their knowledge practically and engagingly. In addition to providing simulated on-the-job training, it can provide learners with a deeper understanding of what their roles currently or in the future will entail and how they can adapt their critical thinking skills.
- Gamification Elements: Turning learning into a game has long been a staple of the blended learning strategy. With AI, the production of engaging and thoughtful learning games and puzzles increases interest due to the incentivizing of competition with leaderboards and rewards and teamwork-based initiatives. What’s even better is that with a game element, training specialists can gather more data than they were previously able to use other learning methods. Generative AI helps create smart recommendations for how a particular learning plan should be created into a game and what the best methods to use in parallel with the instructor’s guidance.
Personalization for Learner Preferences and Objectives
Using data collected from past training programs, Generative AI allows team members to personalize ILT to the benefit of both the instructor’s teaching methodologies and the learner’s preferences and objectives. Consider the following when opting for a Gen AI personalized training plan:
- Learner-Centered Approach: The learner-centered approach has long been touted by instructors for helping guide the plasticity of the training material. According to Harvard, using the learner-centered approach allows instructors in all environments the greatest capacity for skill-building. With more focus on the learner’s past experiences to act as a compass in guiding them through the training they’re in. When ILT is focused first and foremost with the learner as the main focal point, instructors and training team members will focus on providing a positive and reinforcing learning experience. How can the learner-centered approach be utilized? When using Gen AI, learner data is gathered from previous programs and even the learner’s answers on a survey to understand preferences, strengths, and weaknesses, allowing trainers to provide individualized support and tailored instruction during ILT sessions.
- Adaptive Learning Paths: Learners like technology, are adaptable. The benefits of adaptive learning are something not easily ignored by L&D teams. When properly managed with the learner in mind, adaptive learning produces better outcomes. Utilizing generative AI algorithms to analyze learner data, can customize content delivery, pace, and difficulty levels that cater to each learner’s needs as they progress throughout the course.
- Intelligent Recommendations: Leverage generative AI to provide intelligent recommendations for additional resources, exercises, or supplementary materials based on learners’ interests and progress, offering a tailored learning experience. AI can be utilized to look into the learner’s preferred learning style or perhaps modify the delivery of the training material based on performance factors.
Training Case Studies and Work Simulations
Developing work case scenarios and case studies can be limiting especially if the L&D team doesn’t have much information to provide for instructors. With Gen AI, training specialists can give new and modified workplace scenarios that may be encountered post-training. Consider using AI for the following:
- Situation Development: Gen AI can be used to modify a challenge or real workplace scenario that they may face. Gen AI can go beyond standard textbook situational training examples and provide new variables that may have not been used before, incentivizing learners to apply their knowledge and practice concepts taught by the course.
- Customized Case Studies: There are only so many case studies to be used in a particular industry to draw upon for training purposes. With Gen AI, role and industry-specific case studies can be developed that are tailored to the department or company in training and even the current role of the learner. Enhanced case studies, although fabricated, can engage learners to apply their newly learned skills to the test before using them in the actual real world.
Continuous Improvement for Instructor-Led Training Operations
After the coursework has been completed and learners have passed or received certification, training doesn’t end yet for the instructors or the training and development team. There’s work to be done in continually improving the delivery of the training next time around. Continuous improvements using generative AI ask training teams to look at the following areas for their cohort of learners:
- Training Program Components: Instructor-led training-based programs should have methodically placed modules and courses to ensure that learners are comfortable with the pace and timeline of the training. Depending on the type of training program being implemented for an organization, components will vary. For example, some instructors will provide extensive blocks of in-person and virtual instruction for compliance training but offer no recap assignments for the same course. With GenAI, learning specialists can look at learner objectives and data and see where they can fill in the gaps within the program to ensure all learning objectives are met with full understanding within the training course time frame.
- Thoughtful Program Design: Training specialists need to look at their learner data and instructor evaluations and determine where areas of improvement can be brought into the course. GenAI can compile the data and provide a robust overview of specific metrics that instructors and specialists can look over to ensure learner objectives are being met at the expense of no one.
Bottom Line: Generative AI is Key to Helping L&D Specialists Improve ILT
The integration of generative AI into instructor-led training represents a paradigm shift in education and corporate learning. When learning and development specialists use generative AI as an additional tool for creating engaging and robust learning experiences, they’re drawing from mountains of quality data to empower their instructors and subject-matter experts with the content they need.
The future of training is exciting with AI in the training tool belt of L&D teams. With the amount of planning and creativity reduced for providing ILT-based training experiences, we will expect training team members to roll out more course sessions and training programs of all kinds. The same goes for training companies as well.
With the volume of training set to increase for both internal and outsourced training providers, we also expect the managing of such large training programs to increase as well. Expansion calls for improved efficiency. How can L&D teams better manage hundreds of courses without the headache? Implementing a training management system into your learning tech stack can drastically improve how your training team delivers ILT learning experiences.
What happens when you combine the power of AI, the compatibility of an LMS, and the efficiency of a TMS-like Training Orchestra? Schedule a demo below and find out today!
What is Instructor-Led Training?
Instructor-led training (ILT) is guided training provided by an instructor to learners in a designated setting. Learning usually takes place within a traditional classroom or office setting or will be facilitated by the instructor as a part of on-the-job training. When the learners and instructor(s) don’t meet in real-time and in-person but instead through a combination of online scheduled training, it is deemed to be virtual instructor-led training (vILT).
Real-time instructor-led training is the gold standard for providing any type of training and development for learners as it allows for direct interaction between the instructor and learners and provides instant guidance and discussion to clarify training topics, on top of involving the learners in every phase of the training course. Because of these advantages, instructor-led training and its virtual counterpart make it a critical part of any training program’s success.
About Training Orchestra
For over 20 years, Training Orchestra has helped over 600 training companies, corporate L&D departments, and associations worldwide to address instructor-led training operations management challenges for their employee, customer, partner, and member training programs. From virtual and in-person learning instruction to managing hybrid learning operations for global companies, we’ve crafted the perfect training management system to address the most critical needs of training businesses and corporate L&D.
Ready to see to help your organization manage training efficiently and effectively?
Contact Training Orchestra today to see how you can add efficiency and scale to your training operations today!