Training Scheduling Software, also known as a Training Scheduling System or Training Management System has quickly become a primary component in the learning technology ecosystem. And there’s a really good reason why.
Focused on the optimization of critical Instructor-Led Training (ILT) activities for corporate learning departments (L&D), training companies, extended enterprise, corporate universities and associations/membership organizations, training scheduling software is a back-end system that helps training organizations reduce operating costs. Besides the obvious (what organization doesn’t want to save money!), why is this important? Because, these savings can be re-invested in many ways—including to train more (with less) and to innovate learning programs!
Optimizing ILT with the Right Learning Technology
Because of its effectiveness and necessity in many situations, ILT is here to stay. However, according to the Association for Talent and Development (ATD), Instructor-Led Training consumes 70% of the training budget on average. That’s a significant investment for any training organization.
Given this reality, organizations recognize the pressing need to reduce operating costs for ILT. High costs are among the chief complexities that prevent organizations from doing more. Not to mention, they are largely amplified by the way organizations are managing ILT—often with manual, siloed processes that require multiple tools such as Excel spreadsheets, Outlook, and in part, the Learning Management System (LMS).
Speaking of the LMS, which is very often at the core of the learning tech stack for most organizations… can the LMS be used to manage ILT? To some degree, yes. However, the LMS was never designed as a comprehensive tool to optimize and manage ILT processes, back-end operations, or budgets and logistics—but rather to manage eLearning and the learner.
Ready for the GOOD news? A training scheduling software system offers the depth of features and functionalities to fill this gap. And, it complements the LMS! It’s a win-win for any training organization.
>> Read more about the differences between the Learning Management System and the Training Scheduling System <<
Training Scheduling Software – Addressing Core Instructor-Led Training Activities
As a complement to the Learning Management System, training scheduling software addresses these core ILT activities and training scheduling needs:
- Training Resources: Optimizing session and resource scheduling as well as resource use such as classrooms, instructors, equipment and more.
- Strategic Resources: Streamlining communication with and better engage your subject matter experts (SMEs). Gain the ability to more easily detect who has the skills to train on what and when they are available.
- Training Budgets: Optimizing training investment with detailed cost tracking to ensure proactive financial visibility overall training activities.
- Task Management: Reducing the complexity of managing ILT by optimizing and organizing task tracking with visual checklists and tools.
- Training Regulation: Optimizing the management of training regulation including countries that are highly regulated such as South Africa, Canada, France, and Spain.
- Managing Training as a Business: Optimizing end-to-end operations for any external audience including partners and clients, and streamlining the order to invoice sales cycle with real-time margin computation for increased profitability.
- Managing Training as a Project: Easing team collaboration to avoid siloes and automate training operations to increase productivity.
- Data Visualization and Analytics: Helping companies make good decisions with fully customizable dashboards including KPI and reporting capabilities.
Key Features & Benefits of a Training Scheduling System
What are the driving features of Training Scheduling Software? Think automation and streamlining operations as well as gaining actionable financial visibility into all training activities. Here are some of the specific features and benefits you can expect in a top-tier solution:
- Graphical Course Scheduling: Delivering the right training at the right time with intuitive and flexible drag-and-drop graphical and timeline views that ensure perfect planning
- Resource Occupancy Tracking & Optimization: Automating and optimizing training session and resource scheduling, resource use, logistics management, and planning.
- Real-Time Collaboration & To Do Lists: Centralizing communications and task lists with team members
- Instructor Portal: Engaging trainers and SMEs with a centralized communication portal
- Managing Training as a Business: Real-time management of training business for external audiences such as partners and clients, from order to invoice including profitability computation
- Sales & Profitability Monitoring: Tracking session costs with automatic cost retrieval and distribution for the resources being used
- Budget Monitoring: Proactive enterprise-wide budget optimization with multi-currency capabilities and session occupancy monitoring.
- Regulation & Compliance: Ensuring complex legal requirements locally and globally
Implementing a Training Scheduling Software System, a.k.a a Training Management System, can help you optimize classroom training operations by increasing resource use, optimizing session and resource scheduling, controlling costs, and by making the most of time and resources.
In addition to these features, solutions like Training Orchestra have easy, out-of-the-box integration with the LMS, as well as quick integration with other HR systems such as the Learning Experience Platform (LXP), Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Human Resources Information System (HRIS) and Enterprise Resource Planning Systems (ERP).
Contact us to find out more or schedule a personalized demo. We look forward to talking with you!
References: Fosway Group: Learning System Presentation at Learning Technologies UK 2019  ATD State of the Industry 2014